Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Finnie!!


At this time last year - 4:06 am - my water had broken and we were at the birth center getting my first dose of anti-biotic. I knew that a baby would change all our lives - but I HAD NO IDEA just how that would happen...

I haven't slept much tonight. My mind is re-living and re-playing every event from the past year in slow motion. My heart is full of gratitude and love. All of the tears, prayers and heartache were worth it and I would not change a second of it - even if the outcome had been different and Finnley would have left for heaven soon after her arrival. Our lives and our hearts are better for knowing and loving her. Why God chose us to have this incredible experience - I hope to one day know. But I thank Him for it and feel blessed that He loved me enough to give it to me.

All of our trials and heartaches are blessings. I have learned that you gain much more from the experience of pain when you take a positive approach and face it head on. (Not that I ALWAYS take this approach at first, I find myself complaining at times too) But once you get down on your knees and pour your heart out for help and understanding - it comes. The Lord is always there and for that I am forever grateful. How do people make it through life without the understanding that the Lord is our rock and our salvation?

On Sunday, we attended a meeting called Stake Conference. It's a multi- congregational meeting that is held twice a year in my church. I am a Latter-Day Saint for those of you who don't know. (Mormon is our more common name) It was an amazing meeting that I cried through. My mind reflected on the year as I held Finnie in my arms with Angie playing with her little fingers and making faces at her. We sang "How Firm a Foundation," and the words burned into my heart. I think it's my new favorite hymn. One of the Lord's apostles, M. Russell Ballard was at this meeting and I was renewed in my faith that the Lord has restored His church on the earth. He is the Head of it and has given us a prophet and apostles to guide us through these uncertain times we live in. We have a choice to be on the Lord's side or to not - but only one side will win and I choose to be on that side. Brother Ballard and his wife walked past us as he was leaving the building and shook our hands and touched our little Finnie. He was so sweet and the spirit of the Lord was so strong with him. What a blessing to have the comfort of the Lord in our lives - I hope we all cherish it.

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said,
You, who unto Jesus for refuge have fled?

In every condition, in sickness, in health;
In poverty’s vale, or abounding in wealth;
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea,
As thy days may demand, shall thy strength ever be.

Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen and help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of woe shall not thee overflow;
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

When through fiery trials thy pathways shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.

Even down to old age all My people shall prove
My sovereign, eternal, unchangeable love;
And when hoary hairs shall their temples adorn,
Like lambs they shall still in My bosom be borne.

The soul that on Jesus has leaned for repose,
I will not, I will not desert to its foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake. - - Rev. John Rip­pon, text 1787

7 comments:

Shanna Grimes said...

Happy Birthday Finnie!

winspears said...

I love you Care. You are a great example of faith, love, and endurance. I am so grateful to have you and your sweet little family in my life. That little Finnie...in more ways than one...has inspired me to be better... I felt the great love and peace of those angels who where there in your home that Monday afternoon when you brought Finnie home! That is something I will never forget! She is something special...and so are you!

BirdieMann said...

I can't believe its been a year! I'll always remember the day you brought her home and what I call "the most important photo shoot ever." I'm so lucky to have you in my life and to be your lifetime photographer. =)

(Give Finnie kisses for me on Saturday, I have a wedding and can't make it!)

Elizabeth Lynn said...

Happy Birthday my beautiful sweet cousin Finnie! Congratulations on you're wonderful life Aunt Care. I love you.

Anne Woods said...

So happy for you guys and all that this past year has brought you. Hope her birthday was everything and more! LOVED her bday invitations!!

Cindy said...

What a happy day! I have had a smile on my face since leaving the park. Again, a beautiful party with the Care stamp of originality! And bringing friends together to celebrate our little miracle. It was lovely. I find myself loving the color pink a little more than I did yesterday. Thanks for including us.

kiki comin said...

what a sweet post. hope the party was so fun! we wish we could have been there. can't wait to be closer. happy birthday, finnie!:)

About Me

I am a mom of two beautiful girls. Our family has been greatly blessed by the Lord. His message of love and hope needs to be shared and my girls are a testimony of His plan for all of us.